For 2015, I would like to create a smartphone app version of this SayNoTo1890.com. To get this done, I’ll need help from you, the regular users of the website. There are now over 500 people each day, over 15000 per month, using this site and saving money on their calls to 1890, 1850 and 0818 numbers. Bringing together the clout and inspiration of that many people should help get an awesome app created very quickly in the new year.
Designing the right SayNoTo1890 smartphone app will make it much easier to dial the geographic alternatives for the 1890, 1850 and 0818 numbers helping you save even more money. It will also facilitate the sharing of information to gather even more geographic alternatives as well as ensure those numbers are always as up to date as possible.
I will drive the effort necessary to get this app launched, but I will need help from everyone who uses the site in order to confirm how this app should function, but also to raise the necessary funds to get the app developed professionally.
It’s been something I’ve been thinking about for a while now, and a smartphone app for the SayNoTo1890.com website is a regularly requested feature from the users of the website. Back in 2010, I did create a version of the website that was easier to use on a mobile phone browser, but even since then the visitors to the site from mobile devices has increase greatly – now over 50% daily. While the mobile site is an improvement, there is still an enormous potential for a SayNoTo1890 smartphone app to improve the user experience of saving money by dialling geographic alternatives to 1890, 1850 and 0818 numbers.
My intention is to design and build a SayNoTo1890 smartphone app that can be used on Android and iPhone smartphone as a priority. Others such as Windows and Blackberry would be looked at later. At a very high level, I think that the new SayNoTo1890 smartphone app should have the following functions:
- When you dial an 1890, 1850 or 0818 number on your phone, if there is a geographic alternative number available, you will be given the option to dial the alternative instead
- If there isn’t an alternative available, at the end of your call, you will be prompted to share that number back to the website to see if others have an alternative
- At the end of each call to a geographic alternative, you will be able to verify that the number was accurate, or flag that there’s a problem with it
- Anonymous statistics will be collected to show how much money is being saved by the users of the SayNoTo1890 smartphone app
I think that such functionality will make it very quick and easy to dial geographic alternatives and save money on your calls, as well as ensuring that the data available is as up to date and accurate as possible. If you’re using the app, my intention is that you won’t even need to think about looking for a geographic alternative when you’re dialling 1890, 1850 or 0818 numbers – the app will do that for you. Finally, being able to prove how much money is being saved should encourage more to use the application.
This is my first blog post on this idea. I want to get the idea out there to see what kind of definite interest there is in creating a smartphone app from users of SayNoTo1890.com. Please see the “Help Needed” section below to register your interest.
- I am currently defining an initial draft of what I think this SayNoTo1890 smartphone application should do – based on the design notes above. I will share that with everyone interested in the development of the app before Christmas.
- I will then endeavor to incorporate as much feedback from everyone as is possible into the final design for the smartphone app, and will share that final design by the end of January.
- I will then work to see who can be engaged to create the app, and how much it will cost to get that app developed.
- I will create a FundIt / KickStarter type project to crowd-source funds from all interested parties to raise money to get the smartphone app developed.
- Once the necessary funds are raised, I will progress to get the app developed, engage interested people to test the app, and move towards a launch.
The timing on the last 3 items (ideally in February / March 2015) will depend on times necessary to get quotes for app development, necessary development and testing time, but primarily on how quickly we can raise the money needed to fund the project.
Immediate Help Needed
There are four immediate ways I am seeking assistance today to help towards the design, development and launch of this SayNoTo1890 smartphone app.
- Register Interest – If you are in any way interested in the development of this app, please register by signing up to the e-mail listing below. I will use this to keep you updated on the progress towards the launch of this app – and potentially at various times will seek further assistance (for example, testing, funding, sharing with friends, etc). It will not be used for anything else other than communication regarding this app project– not even normal website updates here – and will be deleted once the app is launched.
- Design & Function Suggestions – After that, if you have any ideas or suggestions on how this new SayNoTo1890 smartphone app should be designed, and how it should function, please go to this page and drop me an e-mail with your thoughts. Please feel free to e-mail anything through – the wider and more varied the feedback received, the better the app will be able to meet your needs in what is finally launched.
- Share with Others – If you know of others who might be interested in this project, or who may be able to assist with this project, please share this page with them. The links below will help you share with your followers on Twitter, or your Facebook contacts, or through other social media channels. The more people that can help out with this project all the way along, the better chance there’ll be of getting the app launched.
- Technical Assistance – If you are a developer with an interest, skills or experience in creating smartphone apps (or a company that builds apps), and would like to help with discussing the feasibility of creating this SayNoTo1890 smartphone app, I would love to hear from you. You can see the direction my thinking is going so far above, but more detailed requirements are being created at the moment. So, for example, if you have thoughts on outgoing call intercepts and their applicability for this design, and their availability on Android versus iPhone, then please get in touch.